There has been some debate over the years concerning the effectiveness and efficiency of reverse osmosis treatment, but for the most part, nutritional experts now advise against drinking distilled or de-mineralized water.
- Purified or reverse osmosis water is free of dissolved minerals and, because of this, has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them.
Fasting using reverse osmosis (RO) water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure.
- Cooking foods in reverse osmosis (RO) water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value.
- Reverse osmosis (RO) water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic.
- The more reverse osmosis (RO) water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes.
- For every gallon of clean water produced by a RO system, 4 to 8 gallons of water is wasted.
- Creating a “healthy water” means removing the harmful agents but keeping the beneficial minerals. “Minerals in drinking water are more easily and better absorbed than minerals from food,” according to Dr. John Sorenson, a leading authority on mineral metabolism.
- The more mineral loss, the greater the risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and a long list of degenerative diseases generally associated with premature aging.
- According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Purified” water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by purified water.
- The longer one drinks purified water, the more likely the development of mineral deficiencies and an acid state.
- Two very negative things happen when we consume water that has been stripped of its natural minerals. First‚ because de-mineralized water contains more hydrogen it is an acid with a pH below seven. Any time we consume an acid substance our body will pull minerals from our teeth and bones to produce bicarbonate in order to neutralize the acid.
- Second‚ it has been proven that when our body fluids become more acid than alkaline the production of free radicals increases‚ causing increased cancer risks. Many studies suggest that cancer cells can only grow in an acid environment.
- This theory seems to be supported by the fact that around the world the areas where people live the longest most disease free lives are the areas that have the most alkaline water‚ water with the highest mineral content.